Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Bamboo Shrimp


I have a bamboo shrimp. I went to the pet store one day looking for critters (something besides fish). All they had was a unique little brown guy, called a bamboo shrimp. I found a website that has some good info:

http://www.petshrimp.com/bambooshrimp.html

Here is a photo from the website:



I took him home and put him in the 55-gallon tank. He was kind of interesting, but didn’t do much. The next morning when I came downstairs to feed the fish, the little guy was gone. Lying suspiciously on the floor was a bamboo shrimp sized carapace. I thought at first that he had molted, but since I couldn’t find him anywhere I had to conclude that it had been eaten. I was devastated. Well, I hope whoever ate him enjoyed their little $6.00 snack. Anyway, I figured that’s what keeping an aquarium is all about: experimenting with different combinations of species.

Then about three months later I see something sailing around the tank in long, graceful arcs, finally coming to rest on the top of a log. I knew I didn’t have any fish that size in that tank—just otocinclus, which dart and wiggle. When I took a closer look, I found it was my little bamboo shrimp. I tried netting it so I could put it in the smaller tank (and maybe I’d see it more than once in a blue moon), but it got away and promptly vanished.

I think I’ll name it Hale-Bopp since he appears about as often—every 4,200 years (okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration). Comet Hale-Bopp appeared auspiciously in the sky, two months after my wife and I got married in 1997, a dazzling white smudge, which felt very gratifying after missing out on Haley’s comet (BOOOOO!), a mere, brief cosmic event, a fleeting wonder to behold. Just like my little bamboo shrimp.

2 comments:

ben268 said...

I used to have some ghost shrimp in my old 55 gallon fresh water tank. They really don't show up that often do they?

I've since converted to salt water, and the peppermint shrimp I have now is equally as neat, just much more visible :D

Tom Abbott said...

Hey, someone commented on my dead blog!

I've never had the guts to try salt water. I'm always envious of people who go that route. You can get some really pretty fish, though.

I still have my 55 gallon tank.

I bought a blue lobster a year ago. If you can find one for under $20.00, it's really worth it. It built itself a hole under one of the rocks, and would come out every morning when I fed the fish. It grew really fast, then climbed out of the tank and died under the TV stand.

I bought a second one. It's not as active, but It's lived a lot longer. I love the coloring.